Wednesday, May 7, 2008

the moth

Last night I went with some fine ass folks to check out The Moth for my first time. They have a different theme every month, and when I arrived I discovered the theme was Weddings, which may help to explain the dominance of women in the bar .

It was a pretty good show with a nice array of different types of story-tellers. And my wine was excellent. But what I want to share about is the emcee of the evening.

I cannot remember his name, but he was an attractive man in his late 30's/early 40's, who opened the show with some funny witty little quips. Then he led that into a really interesting trail.

He continuously spoke of hating weddings, being terrified of weddings, and of never going to get married himself. In fact, the reason he stated for never getting married was that he hates women who don't just give you a towel and who need to explain how their weird ass showers work. I am still trying to figure out what in the hell that has to do with anything.

But I don't need to spend anytime trying to figure him out because he ended with a story, which I suppose he thought was funny. He said that at his age, you take all you can get, so whenever someone mentions a blind date, he has no reservations on this and orders them to immediately send said lady his way. Well, on one particular blind date, he arranged for this woman to meet him at a restaurant. He had arranged ahead of time, flowers, special music, and a box with a ring in it. Halfway through the meal, he signals a waiter and the musicians to come over, he gets down on one knee and he proposes. Everyone in the restaurant is staring at them, waiting themselves to hear her reply. She responds with "But..I don't know you!" and he starts laughing and decides to "let her in on the joke". She laughed, somewhat awkwardly I would imagine, and they continued their meal. She later tells him that she is looking to get married and have babies, hopefully sooner than later. Upon hearing this, he splits and never talks to this woman again.

I'm sorry, but excuse me here. He thinks its funny to fake propose on a first date? And then runs away because a woman says that she wants to get married one day?

This guy is crazy land, and its only unfortunate that he is still single and that he is out here dirtying the already kinda pungent waters of singlesville....

No comments: