Friday, June 12, 2009

Mystic

I was searching for a video of Mystic's - Once a Week from Cuts for Luck and Scars for Freedom today, only to turn up empty handed. Her album, released in 2001, goes down in the record book of being one of my Top 10 of all time.

She is all fierce poetry and wildlovemadness. Wikipedia informs me that of 07 she was working on a second album. Man - it's 09. When we gonna get to hear some more of her shit??? Check it Mystic on Myspace.



The only long bf/gf relationship I have ever been in was in college, which lasted about 4 years (both college and the boyfriend). I was quite bad at it, being that I was regularly, ahem, ummm...disloyal (to put it one way). It's not that I didn't love him (which I did tremendously), but..well, I'll spare you an analytical psycho-breakdown of my past history.

Once A Week remains to this day to be the closest approximation in song of how I feel about certain types of relationships. I mean, one day, one would hope, that I would find a person I'd want to last with, to stay together with. But..that's just never really been my style. It's confusing at times, being that our society is so obsessed with the idea of monogamy and this pretense that you can get everything from just one person (1. Not True 2. Btw, check out Divorce Rates....and add to this me not even getting into the fear the mainstream wishes to ingrain upon all single women that they will 1. Die Alone with cats watching them choke or 2. Must be a useless unloveable person if they are actually single past 20.) While there are many cultures and societies that have much more open views on love and lovers, ours is for sure not one of them. While my old friends continue to get married and babied up, I have to continue creating my own steps for a gameplan that was never laid out for me w/ societal instructions...Maybe I should just move to France ;)

So, think about it let me know how you feel
You either with or you not, let me know the deal

No comments: