Thursday, June 18, 2009

you wanna dance? I'll fucking dance with you bitch!

My shady landlord has a history of withholding rent checks of tenants, to suddenly slam them with cashing them way into the future, causing their accounts to fly South, and then handing them a fucking eviction notice. Most people don't like to fight this shit, but me, I can't afford not to, and someone needs to stand up for their fucking renters rights around here.

They put a notice on my door stating my June rent didn't go through. My June rent actually did go through, but my May check bounced. (Cashed a week ago...) This is my response to buy me some time as I can't come up with May's rent in two days, and also, it's going to be July rent time in a hot second. Also, I have people from the councilman's office working with me on this. We shall see what happens....

This letter for LT Properties LLC, Dated this June 20, 2009, in regards to “3-Day Notice to Pay Rent or Move Out.”
The paper you sent me states that I owe $***.** for the month of June (June 1, 2009 to June 30th, 2009.) Attached is bank print out of Check #111 which an agent of LT Properties LLC deposited on 6/8/09 for $***.** (not $***.**.) This check went through immediately upon deposit, so please check your records which will inform you that, in fact, the rent for June 2009, was paid on time.

For all future months, I am going to need to know the hours that the Building Manager will actually be on premises, as I am going to require a receipt monthly upon the payment of my rent. As the rentbox is unable to perform this function, I request being sent the office hours of Manager, or the Office Location and Hours of LT Properties LLC so that I may be given a receipt for all rent monies.

Furthermore, Please be aware for all future correspondence you leave on Apt #***’s door, the date must be correct. This note was put on my door after midnight, making it officially the 17th of June when I received this notification and not the 16th as it states on the scrap fax paper this was printed on. For all future notifications, please be aware that if agent of LT Properties LLC is posting after the close of the business day (5pm) then date on form must show the following date.


My building needs to go back into REAP. No one from any of the Renters/Housing/Tenant Organizations in LA have been able to effectively help us in any way since this new man bought the building. Numerous people are speaking to our contacts at the Councilman's office - and this was basically what I went over with them today

Thanks so much for taking the time to speak with me today.

So, here's my current deal. The landlord withheld my May Rent and deposited it about a week ago at the same time as deposting my June check. I had never noticed that the May check wasn't deposited in May, and this sent my account (which had enough money for 1 not 2 rents at the time) spiraling into the negative along with about $200 in overdraft charges from the bank.

I received a 3 day to pay or move out notice on my door around 1am on the 17th (although the paper states it was the 16th.)

I have seen 6 people that I actually know get evicted in this way - this malicious holding of checks and strategic cashing of later on in order to get people to default on rent. (Most of us here kind of live week by week.) I have lived here for 3 years and have always paid my rent on time every single month. I have been personally cornered and attacked by landlord (***** ******) before when he first took over the building and he was freaking out about all the tenants filing complaints with him to the Housing Department.

The building is filled with trash, cockroaches, and no one responds to maintenance requests. The manager has a different job, is never on site. and doesn't respond to most tenants requests. She is a friend of the owner, and has no experience in Property Management.

No one from the Tenants Unions to the Housing Department has taken any appropriate action against owner. Tenant ******* ****** recently had the Lead Inspector in because it had been about a year she was trying to get owner to address the fact that her bathroom ceiling was wet and caving in. The inspector came in, laughed at her, and then stated that he could only do something about it if he actually saw water dripping. She replied that it takes weeks to even get an inspector over, how could one actually get a person on site when it was dripping (usually when upstairs neighbors take a shower.) He gave her what he said was a direct line number to him. The next day, when ceiling was leaking, she called it - he had given her a fake number. This is what we are dealing with on a daily basis here.

I am an incredibly active young person involved in many aspects of the Silver Lake/Echo Park Community. While I work every day to bridge community, to make my neighborhood an even better place to live, while I give back and volunteer in many different mediums, it kills me that this man is being allowed to act illegally on a daily basis exploiting the tenants and any concept of our rights.

- In addition - is there a legal cap date on when a landlord can cash past checks?

-In addition - The cell phone towers were put up illegally in that the tenants of the building's mail informing us that there would be a public meeting about them, was sent to a different address of landlord, rendering us uninformed. He pulls approx 3 grand a month on them, while our health and rights rot away.

-In addition, all cease work signs from gov. departments (he does construction with no permits) as well as all other signs are taken down from his people the moment they get put up. I do not believe this is legal.

-In addition, The Building Manager has another job and is never on-site. In my understanding, that for a building with 36 units, that an on-site manager is required by law.



My slumlord really should make his FaceBook page Private...


No comments: